Part 2

Reflection

Reflection and evaluation prompts - for part 2 work up until and including winter break new research.

Where did you find your research, and which museums galleries and shops have you visited?

For the cultural swap project I explored the culture and traditions of Hong Kong where I referenced my partners photographs and childhood memories. I was given the task of exploring Brick Lane within London where I captured its environments fundamentals, having my main focus on it’s architecture and public art, which contrasted greatly to Hong Kong. I discovered various Graffiti artworks and was extremely intrigues by the modern and captivating architectural buildings, going the place a very high street effect.

Then for public artworks and Fruit machine I went to the Museum of London, The Emirates Line, Tape London, Sky Garden, “-The Big Boom” at …, -The Natural History Museum, the Victoria and Albert museum, the science museum, the national gallery, the National Portrait Gallery, Tower Bridge, the Millennium Bridge and more exciting exhibitions and places which I found very intriguing in London.

Throughout my Christmas project I mainly focused on my surroundings and environments as my inspiration for research where going on hikes, skiing and travelling to different places in Austria. I took many photographs of the mountains, lakes, woods, rivers and the rest of the landscape. Furthermore I went to Salzburg where I looked at fashion, decoration and accessory stores. At the same time I enjoyed the atmosphere and explored the interiors designs of different restaurants I was at during evenings with my family.

Did you look at any artists or designers in particular, if so how have they influenced your work?

Throughout my projects I was inspired by a variety of designers including One Nine Eight Five designing cushions, throws, wall hangings, accessories and furniture which get inspiration from film, art and fashion. I think they show the importance of looking outside of your area of design in order to create. I am also inspired by Adriana Homewares whose fabrics are designed on a traditional hand loom, influenced by their colour theory and the mathematics of weave. Another inspiration is Claire Gaudion, her original and contemporary woven and printed interiors textiles and home accessories consider gently the balance of  colour, pattern and texture. As I develop and am more aware of the issues surrounding sustainability, designers such as Eleanor Nadimi become more of an inspiration to me. Her highly experimental approach to design with bold colours and combinations, patterns, and her work with recycled fabrics bring something new and fresh to the interior design world.

Have you developed or tried any new techniques or skills in your work?

During the part two process I learned and became competent using hand looms, knitting machines and simply knitting. I used different knitting and weaving techniques after becoming more confident with them and really enjoying participating in other workshops such as mono print and 3D designing of textures and structures inspired by previous development.

Have you managed to respond to the feedback from your progress tutorial through revisiting or 

developing your work? If so how, what have you done? How will you evaluate if this has been a successful progression? (think about who is evaluating, how many, the context.)

In class my teacher told me to not recreate but to interpret my artworks and research which really changed my whole project a lot and gave me great inspiration for new ideas. In addition I  learned that : less is more. I realised the significance of this because I like adding as many samples, decorations and materials as possible onto each page in order to make it look more complete to see how much effort is put into them, however what I now know to do is to make my work simple yet effective.

How have you solved problems when you are working? (Think of methods and resources, what you do when you are stuck).

For me the hardest part within a project is my starting point. It is beginning to collect ideas and trying to find inspiration from somewhere to then make a choice of pathway to follow which I struggle with sometimes. As a result I started to not overthink everything and just have a quick, indiscreet thinking process which can then be changed and manipulated into a different, desired way in order to suit my development, which then confirms or changes the process to create my final idea. 

Does your work clearly show visually how your ideas are progressing or how you are solving practical or theoretical problems (Theoretical think of art and design theory, critical theory and cultural studies)?

I believe that throughout the different projects we followed during our course my work keeps on progressing. The developments start to become much more visual and clear in my last few projects where I more logically and structurally approached the projects, focusing on the main themes and embedding my ideas in a perceptible way. My more recent projects are also connected to a more thoroughly connected research which can be seen within them.

01/02/18

As a final piece I made two large weaves and combined them with machine knitted net-like structures. I then chose a suitable background for the final piece. On the one hand it has to be in a appropriate environment which it could be seen in where it doesn’t seem out of place but the piece shouldn’t be hidden as a background either. Therefore I chose to place it into my favourite cafe´ which I like because of its great atmosphere and tasteful interior design. It made the final piece stand out because of its neutral colour tones and natural facility.

Bibliography of Corduroy project

Bibliography:

Books:

DesignEXchange. (2002). Whiter hair, softer teeth. Tokyo: DesignEXchange.

Sherrow, V. (2006). Encyclopedia of hair: A cultural history. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press.

Mercer, K. (1987). Black hair / style politics.

Power, B. (2001). Hair and beauty. French Forest, N.S.W: Pearson Education Australia Pty Ltd.

Pivot Point (Firm). (1979). The systematic approach to long hair graphics. Chicago, IL: Pivot Point International.

Hayden, Martin. The Book of Bridges: Railways. Publisher Not Identified, 1976.

Other sources:

“The 39 Most Amazing Bridges In The World.” HiConsumption, 29 June 2014, hiconsumption.com/2014/06/the-39-most-amazing-bridges-in-the-world/.

“Bridge Architecture and Design.” Designboom | Architecture & Design Magazine, www.designboom.com/tag/bridge-architecture-and-design/.

“Home.” Seattle Area Flowmap Bridges, www.wsdot.com/traffic/seattle/flowmaps/bridges.aspx.says, Marcella, et al. 

“15 Most Famous Bridges in the World.” Touropia, 24 Oct. 2017, www.touropia.com/most-famous-bridges-in-the-world/.

“29 Of The Most Famous Bridges In The World. #26 Is Unbelievable!” LifeBuzz, 24 Oct. 2015, www.lifebuzz.com/bridges/.

“Best 25+ Hair Ideas on Pinterest | Blonde Balyage, Blonde Hair and Blonde Ombre.” Pinterest, www.pinterest.com/explore/hair/.

30/01/18

I used colour pallet experimentation through weave and crochet techniques. In addition I incorporated the manipulation of hair in combination with a crocheting technique based on a hairband sample I created. I also translated knits textures into mono print. I made final samples attempting to combine hair and struts using crocheting and knitting to create weaves.

25/01/18

I displayed the connection between bridge struts and dreadlocks using different collage techniques. Furthermore I experimented of texture and colour recreating with the pattern and shape of hair and bridges. I also combined various collage techniques incorporation hair and bridge structures.

23/01/18

Laying out my portfolio was very different to what I expected. The teacher taught me one important thing : less is more. I realised the significance of this because I like adding as many samples, decorations and materials as possible onto each page in order to make it look full and complete to see how much effort is put into them. Furthermore told me to have clean pieces with no smudges or such for a spotless portfolio.

22/01/18

Looking at all my work I felt a part missing and that I should introduce the project to new techniques of layout and possibly paper manipulation. I felt that the photographs which were just stuck into the sketchbook without any working into or such gave it a lack of excitement and vibrancy. Therefore I decided to work with different collage techniques where adding different photographs together, cutting them, drawing and stitching into then as well as adding other materials such as samples, metal or fabrics to then make the sketchbook much more interesting and add to it’s innovative layout.

21/01/18

Taking place across four evenings from 18 to 21 January 2018, 5.30-10.30pm, Lumiere London is a major international festival with over 40 installations to explore across London’s streets, buildings and public spaces. I really enjoyed exploring the different sights of this event at Kings Cross where my favourite part of this captivating experience was walking through the set up of many reflective surfaces surrounded by lights changing in colour and giving the whole artwork a really mystical and magical effect. I was also very intrigued by the steam being surrounded by blue beamers which made them look like waves in the sky which was really vibrant and outstanding where its atmosphere and image as a whole couldn’t be captured in the same way as when watching it live on camera.

20/01/18

Thinking of my colour scheme I bought suitable yarns and wool of various green and blue colour tones. I used different knitting, crocheting and weaving techniques where I liked the various textures giving different effects. For knitting I used needles with different thicknesses where creating patterns with bigger stitches. I really liked that technique because it gave the sample a bridge like texture where the yarn looked like strings from a bridge.

18/01/18

Doing a 3D workshop was very interesting. I picked certain parts out of my sketchbook to then largen or manipulate in a way that I could produce intricate shapes and patterns to then create 3-dimensional forms and then develop further. I really liked certain parts which I then used for prints where I followed my colour scheme using green colour tones mixed with black. These accentuated the patterns and shapes making them look more modern but classic because the tones aren’t vibrant but matt and natural.

16/01/18

In class my teacher told me to not recreate but interpret my artworks and research which really changed my whole project a lot and gave me great inspiration for new ideas. As I had based my project on hair I bought utensils which suited that theme and made various samples with them. I was very satisfied with what I had made and finally got an idea of how to develop my sketchbook further. 

15/01/18

Independent working allowed me to look at the pages and add what I thought was necessary. I decided to develope the green and blue colours and tones as well as gold and black for contrast and neutral elements to then use them for the rest of my project. I really like how each of these colours and tones complement each other and  give a modern and vibrant affect because gold shows wealth, status and glamour, black shows value, white is neutral and kaki mixed with blue is comprehend with those three tones.

11/01/18

This time I used different mediums to print onto where using wood, plastics and metals. These inspired me to print colours and tones matching to the materials such as for metals being more shiny I used bright colours and wood is matt and naturally has tones of brown or red. I imagine to further develop these prints by combining them with techniques such as stitch or making collages. Making collages where layering the prints which are being cut out in repetitive patterns has a very bold and complex effect being intricate and detailed. I think this is very interesting because such simple techniques can show so captivating results.

09/01/18

The collage workshop allowed me to explore the use of print where using different techniques such as mono printing and lino printing. I also explored the use of textiles mixed with those techniques by covering crocheted strings and pieces, fabrics and other materials such as zippers with ink to then place them on to paper and causing their patterns to be the imprint. I really liked this experimentation as it had different, interesting outcomes. Additionally I liked the fact that I could use the same colour and just using less ink and different pressures on the materials changed the colours and tones on the final print.

08/01/18

For our corduroy project I collected images of my decorations and natural environment which are constructed of a continuous pattern of lines in various, different ways. Each of the drawings I used the type of media to then create a weave, knit or/and  crocheted piece or pattern which in my opinion were most suitable to the drawings. I really like the use of acrylic paint because especially gold mixed with others has a very bold and accentuated effect. The intricate, complex, architectural structure and texture of bridges highly inspired my project. Additionally I integrated braids, hair accessories and strands with the bridge constructions and shapes.

05/01/17

Each time I drive to Salzburg it gives me a great impression. The city is full of vibrancy and life. On top of the high street stores the city also possesses many natural parts being surrounded by mountains, lakes and rivers. Additionally the bridges crossing a river are embellished with locks in all kinds of colours and styles all of which have an own meaning and story behind their unique appearance. Because I went to a huge variety of fashion accessory, interior design and garment stores, I had the pleasure to explore their experimentation with contrast, saturation and exposure of their designs, patterns, textures and colour pallets.

31/12/17

Meeting with our wider family circle today was arranged and organised in a glasshouse full of different types and variations of exotic plants in all kinds of colours and tones such as red, pink, yellow, purple and blue. The floors and walls were wooden following our Austrian culture as most of the antique and repetitively soled houses along generations were initially build with wood having beautifully hand designed and cut patterns within and outside certain parts of the house. The colours often used to paint walls were yellow, green and red.

28/12/17

Exploring the styrian environment, where we spend many of our holidays, is each time an adventure. There are lakes, rivers, mountains, woods and fields making the nature in Altaussee mystical. It is my second home being one of the most beautiful and natural places I know. Because I came in winter the main colours I saw where green, blue and white with some greys and browns in between. Taking a walk around a lake there called the Altausseersee was truly breathtaking. It it also really intriguing seeing the fog surrounding parts of the mountain which reflects on the lakes surface one of the moments I captured along with many others such as icicles dropping from branches and roofs, half frozen snow covering bushes and trees looking like dangerous needles but also prestigious crystals and other snow covering the rest of the winter landscape. 

24/12/17

I enjoyed decorating the Christmas tree where mixing different red, gold, silver and green colours and tones because it allowed me to choose it’s design and effect on our environment and atmosphere. The presents packaging were very suitable with the decorations throughout our whole house being beige, red and green! In the evening we had fish, vegetables and punch. Our cutlery, plates and glasses also worked well with the interior design being very modern, yet antique having colours and tones suitable to each other which also fits to the Austrian tradition and culture.

23/12/17

During the drive from Germany to Austria it was captivating to see how strongly the environmental surrounding and atmosphere changed. Where I live in Germany a city surrounds me and the temperatures are higher than in Austria. Therefore when it snows in Germany, it turns to mud right away making the environment dull, dirty and patched because it melts on the streets making them unpleasant. The colours from where I live would include brown, beige, black, grey and green as there are some trees surrounding the area. Whilst traveling to Styria, which is the green heart of Austria, the places I passed turned to brown, green and lot’s of white. It gave me the feeling of Christmas which I genuinely perish.

07/11/17

Today I got a lot of feedback on my overall 2-week project. In the morning we were given constructive criticism from our partners. Mine said she clearly sees where textures are coming from and there is a visible structure. She likes the consistent colour palet which I selected in the beginning and my use of different processes and techniques. She can see the connections between finished materials and self constructed ones. She would like me to put colour into my illustrations and look at my Final piece as more than garment. Furthermore think of it as large scale sample to use as anything: interior, fashion and fashion accessories and wants me to show this. She also wants me to make sketches with textures of mixed media and for me to make more colour studies before getting to samples. Additionally she wants me to use more paper manupulation to add texture and different presenting ways. She also says I use too much of the same techniques and wants me to extend on that. In the afternoon the feedback was fairly similar and they told me to use more mixed media and 3D-designs as well as putting my fabric onto a body working more with structure and shape of the fabric to be used onto a body! I only partially benefited from this feedback because on the one hand I know I have to further develop some of my techniques but on the other I didn’t think about using more mediums in some of my sketches. I will improve and further develop my current and future projects based on that feedback. 

05/11/17

Getting some feedback from our tutor today was extremely helpful as it made me realize that I have to link my work back to my initial artist and photographers more as well as adding much more development, making it flow more. It also made me think about some of changing some of my techniques I used such as stitch were adding some crochet and Hand-knitting. Furthermore I felt using only different tones of orange was to dull and contained no excitement. Therefore I added mixed materials in black and silver to compensate the orange tones and textures. That combination made all the change and contributed to a big factor of my final pieces development!

04/12/17

Learning how to make weaves with with our own cardboard looms was a very interesting way of expanding my use of mixed media and techniques with yarn. It inspired me to create weaves with different textures, colours and tones and see which ones are mist campatable and in which environment they can be used such as interior design, fashion accessories, garments and more!

30/11/17

Making different a weave in a group was an interesting approach which worked very well in my opinion because it allowed a broad amount of mixed media and techniques to create a unique embroidery with all kinds of colours and tones. It was a method which I liked the final outcome from because of its special features and interesting juxtapositions however not a procedure I would take because it ended up having too many colours and not having any repetitions or structure which is needed when creating a garment, fashion accessory or interior design to have a professional look and by widely soled. 

28/11/17

Today we went to the Tate Modern where we drew observations of the modern artworks shape, texture, scale and colour. I loved the exercise as it allowed me to use my own style and experiment with the mediums I wanted to. I decided to use monotone for some sketches and colour for others. I enjoyed using monotone more than colour because I allowed me to concentrate more on shape, structure, texture and detail. 

27/11/17

On the brief I got the photographer Philip Lorca DiCorcia and scientist Albert Einstein. By researching the two in the CSM Granary Square Library I found interesting connections between the two in various books I found and read through. Despite their completely different career paths the symbolic meanings, surroundings and people of the photographs can be separately related to various of Einsteins quotes and therefore be combined to create suitable patterns and structures. I chose to use weaves as an association of these attachments as I felt it described my way of thinking about them best. I looked at the colour tones, textures and architectural structures in the photographs and quotes with their unique meanings to then create my own link between the two.

23/11/17

During constructive criticism I was amazed by many of the students artworks and this also gave me the opportunity to explore different styles, patterns and structures of pieces made with a broad use of mixed media. My only feedback was to use textiles and more mixed media however I couldn’t start anything with it because I was told to make a paper based project and therefore could not expand on that statement or do any of that. Instead I thought of different paper folding and structure making techniques to make my sketchbook more vivid and lively for future projects.

21/11/17

Then making patterns from my previous research and experimentation was also very intriguing as it allowed me to choose small parts within my research to then photoshop and duplicate in a way that a large pattern was developed. I imagined to use these patterns for places such as in interior design, fashion and more. The pattern I liked most was the one below because I had not imagined that the initial texture could be developed in such a way to become a pattern that might be able to be used for future projects. The opposite of my theory was proven to me. I was surprised by how well the colours complemented each other and saw that despite being heavily contrasting colours they were suitable together.

20/11/17

My partner is from Hong Kong so I had to relate Shoreditch to Hong Kong. This was a very exciting task because I saw many connections between the two places and really liked finding these and creating structures, patterns and colours which connected the two. For example relating Graffiti at Shoreditch with the Street Lights of commercials and signs in Hong Kong. Furthermore it was interesting to research the different cultures and traditions of Hong Kong. It was also really interesting how many of the colours and tones of those two completely places worked in harmony despite a few juxtapositions.

19/11/17

The Wallace museum is a very unique and antique exhibition where displaying statues and antique furniture which was really interesting as each new section contained very neutral colour pallets however all looked highly prestigious because of the gold tones or chandelier decorations as well as golden coloured statues and other decorative structures. In the photograph below the reflection is very misleading as it makes you think you are able to jump into that mirror because it looks like part pf the room. These reflections remind me of repetition which I can use in future patterns.

18/11/17

The science museum has a really intriguing atmosphere where even more when brightly lit is accentuated at the long bars stabilizing the building. I genuinely am intruiged by the architectural structure of the building.

17/11/17

Going to the sky garden was a whole new experience. The architecture of the building itself was very modern and made in a way that suits Londons urban environment. The view was breathtaking and I enjoyed every moment in that place. Furthermore I was really intrigued by the way that the whole structure was complex yet was surrounded by windows giving it a suitable lighting but sheltered, modern and antique atmosphere. 

16/11/17

Shoreditch was really intriguing for me because of the broad variety of Street Art and Architecture. One Art piece I really loved was the Graffiti artist Below. I am fascinated by her use of overlapping shapes mixed with the different neon colours and highlights. Despite this collaged effect she managed to create extremely precise detail. 

15/11/17

Going to the Portobello Market in Notting Hill was an interesting experience where looking at many different types of clothing, foods, decoration and cuisine. It made me discover new cultures and  religions. One of the things that caught my eye were the many patterns and suitable colours of the different scarves that were displayed. Additionally the textures and patterns of the various moroccan decorations including lot’s of silverware had inspiring patterns for me to use in future projects.

14/11/17

The rush hour in Oxford street is really interesting because of the bright lights and broad range of neon as well as standard colours.  Its made me think about different colours I could use for my projects and long exposure photographs I could take as an inspiration for future projects. I could also use the setting for colour palets or different textures and structures.

13/11/17

The national history museum was really intriguing for me. My favorite installation was a huge skeleton of a dinosaur hanging in the centre of a large hall. It’s lighting was very effective as it featured the piece in its most extravagant way and gave it a mystical look. As it hangs from the ceiling it fills the whole room and gives it a modern yet antique atmosphere. Because stairs surround the skeleton the whole piece can be seen from all perspectives making it a great attraction. Most of all I was amazed by how large the structure was and further inspecting the construction I also realized how unique the bone structure is and that this might be useful for developing textile patterns or textures in future.

Fields marked by '*' are required.
    Comments are moderated. If you choose to make this comment public, it will not be visible to others until it is approved by the owner.